The University of Saskatchewan Library will protect each library user’s right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received, materials consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted, or fees, fines and other charges incurred as a library user. Patron records will be gathered, accessed and maintained for the purposes of carrying out the business of the Library and the University.
1. Confidentiality of circulation records shall be maintained. No information regarding a patron’s current or past record transactions shall be made available to any person or external agency, other than the borrower, except:
2. In the case of urgently required materials, the Library may contact the borrower, but shall not release the name or the contact information of the borrower to others.
3. A borrower can view his/her own circulation record online by providing his/her Library barcode number or by using his/her University Network Services Identification (NSID) and password. Patrons are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their NSID and password.
1. The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
2. ALA Policy on Confidentiality of Library Records (http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/poll_conf.html)
3. ALA Suggested Procedures for Implementing Policy on Confidentiality of Library Records
4. University of Calgary – Access Policies (http://www.ucalgary.ca/library/policies/accpol99.htm)
1. All front line staff should be knowledgeable about the policy.
2. All front line staff should be aware of the basic requirements of applicable protection of privacy and freedom of information legislation.
3. All front line staff should be able to show a patron a print copy of the policy at the circulation desk.
4. If this still does not satisfy the inquirer the front line staff should refer the inquirer to a supervisor.
5. If this still does not satisfy the inquirer the supervisor should refer them to the Head of Access Services or in her/his absence, the Associate
6. If presented with an order of the Court, the Director is to be contacted to authorize release of information.
7. If approached concerning an investigation of academic dishonesty (e.g., plagiarism) under the Student Academic Dishonesty Rules of the
University of Saskatchewan Council, the Head, Access Services is to be contacted to authorize release of information.