Interlibrary Loan / Document Delivery
Our Interlibrary Loan / Document Delivery service provides you with resources from other libraries when the University Library does not have the item you need for your study or research. Through cooperative agreements, we are able to borrow materials from academic, public and research libraries across Canada and around the world.
Log in to our portal to Submit a Request or to track your interlibrary loan and document requests. Make sure you select the correct Interlibrary Loan Unit from the drop-down menu:
- All Health Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Disciplines: choose Health Sciences Library for your Interlibrary Loan Unit
- All Other Disciplines: choose Murray Library for your Interlibrary Loan Unit
- Current University of Saskatchewan students, faculty and staff
- Interlibrary Loan is a free* service provided to most University Library clients in good standing
- Current U of S students, faculty and staff living outside Saskatoon including distance students, interns, medical residents and students on placement. Please register for Distance and Distributed Library Services to access Interlibrary Loan
- *Alumni and External Borrowers will be charged a fee of $15 per request for interlibrary loan services and must submit requests in person at the Interlibrary Loan unit of the Murray Library or Health Sciences Library. There may be additional charges upon receipt of the item if the charges from the lending library exceed $15; in those cases, we will confirm with the client before proceeding with the ILL request. We suggest that Alumni and External borrowers make interlibrary loan requests through their local public library as the costs may be significantly lower (perhaps even free!)
- Use the Search feature to find a citation from another library catalogue. The citation will automatically populate the fields of the Interlibrary Loan Request Form.
- Use Create Request if you already have a citation and just want to enter the information on the Interlibrary Loan Request Form.
- Choose My Requests to track the status of your request. This option is not available for requests submitted to the Health Sciences library; please contact the library at email@example.com
- At the bottom of the form, you are asked to choose a date after which the requested item would no longer be needed – think of this date as the absolute last day that you could use the item for your research or study. If you leave the default at 2 weeks, the system will automatically cancel the interlibrary loan request on that date; so to avoid having your request automatically canceled, please give as much time as you can in that date field!
- The selected Language of Item automatically defaults to English; be aware that if you are requesting an article from a foreign-language publication, chances are that article will be delivered to you in the language of the original publication and not translated into English.
If the University Library owns the item in any format (including e-book format), or if the item is on Reserve or is currently checked out, you may not make an interlibrary loan request. If you do, the request will be cancelled and you will be notified of the cancellation. Items that are on Reserve can be borrowed on a first-come, first-served basis. Items that are currently checked out can be recalled and placed on hold -- the current borrower must return the item within 7 days of the recall.
All DOCUMENTS (articles, book chapters) will be delivered to you electronically as a PDF file.
- Once your document is received by our office, a link and instructions for document retrieval is provided in the email notice that is sent only to your official U of S email account (firstname.lastname@example.org). It is your responsibility to review your email messages on a regular basis.
- PDF documents that are retrieved from our secure portal are available for a maximum of 5 days from the time the document is first accessed, after which time the PDF link will automatically disappear. Some documents are delivered to us within 24 hours, so be sure to check your email for notifications regularly.
You will receive an email notice when your interlibrary loan arrives. Please read the notice carefully as it details where and how to retrieve your materials.
Most LOAN items (books, microfilm, etc.) can be picked up at the Murray Library circulation desk, located on the ground floor of the Murray Library. Loans for Health Sciences disciplines can be picked up at the Leslie and Irene Dube Health Sciences Library circulation desk. You must present your Campus ID card to check out the material.
- The loan period for interlibrary loans is generally three weeks with no renewals -- the due date is printed on the paper bookband. An extension to an interlibrary loan may be considered; please contact the Interlibrary Loan office at the appropriate library branch at least 2 days before the item is due.
- Items not returned by the due date are subject to overdue fines of $2 per day per item to a maximum of $50 per item. Replacement charges will apply if items are lost, damaged or kept long overdue.
- Borrowing privileges wil be suspended when fines reach $30 or more.