Local and Regional GIS data
Topographic and Base Maps
Saskatchewan Township Fabric Map
, this dataset accurately integrates key datasets (surveyed base data from the southern Township Fabric Map and theoretical northern data) into a standardized provincial grid for land parcel identification and location. Go to the Pre-Packaged Data Gallery to download the complete dataset or individual layers. Includes township shape file, section shape file, quarter section shape file, legal subdivision shape file, monument shape file and Monument ASCII file.
- City of Saskatoon - iMap: Online map of the city of Saskatoon with layers including schools, aerial photos, traffic volume, neighbourhoods and more.
City of Saskatoon GIS Data
- from the city of Saskatoon: Neighbourhood boundaries, postal code polygons, 2010 Bus Route map, Corporate limits, Park boundaries, roadways and schools. Also includes Floodway map, DA areas/population and more data related to Saskatoon.
: Provides information on the community of Saskatoon. Includes online maps of health, demographic and other topics.
Detailed Soil Survey Compilations shp file from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada available here
- Health Region Boundary Files for Saskatchewan: 1999, 2003, 2006 2011 files available free online here.
- Postal codes matched with neighbourhood files (DMTI data from 2006): This file merges DMTI platinum postal suite with DMTI neighbourhood files for the cities of Prince Albert, Regina and Saskatoon.
- - Saskatchewan Oil and Gas InfoMap, Interactive map of Saskatchewan, including data on the location of Saskatchewan's oil and gas resources.The data is available free of charge from the Government of Saskatchewan and can be downloaded.
- - Databases : these include Saskatchewan Mineral Assessment Database, Saskatchewan Mineral Deposit Index, Kimberlite Indicator Minerals, Data File Series and the Geological Atlas of Saskatchewan.
- Watershed Files - South Saskatchewan River Basin shp file, Watersheds of Saskatchewan (from the Water Security Agency), and the PFRA Watersheds covering the Canadian Prairies.
- FlySask , Saskatchewan Geospatial Imagery Collaborative. Free public access to basic aerial photo and satellite imagery sets with registration required for more in depth data. Contact Library services for registration. Non members have access to: Administrative boundaries, National Topographic System, Raster Tile Indexes, FlySask Orthophoto Program, National Road Network, Sask Grid, Blue Marble Next Generation and Spot 10m imagery. To see these layers in ArcGISonline click HERE. For instructions on adding WMS service to ArcGIS, click here. Members can access additional features: Spot 2.5m and tile dates, Regina 2006 and 2009 imagery, Saskatoon 2001 imagery and Orthophoto tile dates. New RM of Corman Park flooding imagery available here (Preview)
- Pictometry: access current very high resolution imagery of the larger urban areas of Saskatchewan. Pictometry Connect is a secure, web-based solution that combines our high resolution aerial imagery with customer GIS data. Users can upload, view, and analyze their GIS data against the backdrop of the highest quality aerial imagery in the world. CONTACT GIS library staff for login/password. PDF help file.
- GeoSask -Includes spatial data (ESRI Shape, AutoCAD DXF), Pre-packaged data (ESRI Shape, AutoCAD DXF, Metadata XML), Static Maps (PDF, GIF, JPG) and Applications.
- SAMA View: You can search for property assessment information in any municipality where assessment services are provided by Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency.
- SaskBiz.ca : comprehensive economic and quality of life information for communities and regions in Saskatchewan.
- SaskMuniMaps - SaskMuniMaps is an interactive mapping system that provides municipal information in map and tabular form on population, expenditures, revenues, grants, assessment values, reserves, debt and uncollected revenues for the years 2002 to 2007.
- Saskatchewan Maps Online - government of Saskatchewan offers interactive maps with several layers.
- myRM: Saskatchewan Rural Municipality Information - find information about specific RMs. Search by RM name or number.
Other Provinces GIS Data
Alberta Geological Survey
: This is a free site for viewing or downloading geological maps of Alberta. Examples of maps include drift thickness, groundwater/hydrogeology, and mineral resources.
- AltaLIS AltaLIS is a provincial resource that provides mapping data for Alberta. Offers some small scale topographic and boundary data free, as well as samples of other data products.
- City of Edmonton open data: Includes neighbourhood kml files, schools etc.
- City of Calgary open data: includes demographic data, GIS files, city amenities and many other data sets.
- British Columbia Geological Survey Online database for geological and geoscientific information provided by the British Columbian Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Petroleum Resources. Resources are mainly focused on providing information about existing and potential mineral resources. It hosts both GIS maps and tools, as well as written publications.The maps are free to view within a web browser after installing an Autodesk plugin.
: The government of BC has opened its data to the public. You can search for GIS data using keywords on this site, most are in KML and shp file format.
, view and download GIS data, create mash-ups, and analyze data.
- Manitoba Land Initiative, must register to use. Access to geospatial information from the government of Manitoba.
- Manitoba Geological Survey , Includes viewable and interative maps, geological databases, free downloaing of reports and maps, 3-D geological model of Manitoba and more.
- GeoNB: freely available geographic information of New Brunswick.
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia Bedrock geology digital products, Available from the Department of Natural Resources are the Bedrock Geology at different scales for the province of Nova Scotia. Various formats are available for download such as ESRI shapfile, AutoCAD and PDF.
, Province of Nova Scotia's gateway to geographic information about Nova Scotia.
- NWT Meta Cumulative Effects - The Canadian Arctic Resources Committee has just taken one major step in removing the blindfold from northern development. The step is a computer-based tool that uses satellite imagery and publicly available information to map the increasing impacts of development in the Northwest Territories. The PDF file is available here, explaining how to use the KML.
Northwest Territories Geoscience Office - GoMap
, web based GIS application for viewing, querying and downloading from the database. Includes mineral occurence, publications, exploration reports and other references to geology and mineral exploration in the NWT.
- Grand River Conservation Authority - Grand River Information Network: allows users to create maps, view ready made maps or download GIS data regarding the Grand River Watershed Ontario.
Land Information Ontario
- Ministry of Natural Resources, Ontario data available upon filing out and returning the license agreement to the ministry. Can sign up online to order data download.
- Open Data Catalogue, Government of Ontario : Open data sets including Geographic files. ( roadwork, geology, etc)
: Select Ontario
is a flexible and dynamic search tool designed for site selectors. It makes site selection decision-making easier as it showcases investment properties, infrastructure, location advantages and workforce statistics within a single application. Select Ontario
lets users customize their site search by defining their business needs, including proximity to transportation routes and infrastructure, availability of real estate, availability of skilled workers and industry cluster locations. Select Ontario
gives site selectors quick access to key information needed to find ideal sites in over 500 communities in Ontario.
Prince Edward Island
- Prince Edward Island- GIS data files for download such as; Base maps, Property Index, Fire Coverage, Municipal Boundaries, Watershed Boundaries, and national/provincial parks. The Information is available from three different departments; Department of Finance and Municipal Affairs, Department of Environment, Energy and Forestry, Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Review. Data could be used for any number of things such as finding school districts that have good fire coverage or locating waterways.