Veterinary Medicine Library: Welcome!
Use databases to search for journal or newspaper articles, data, images and more.
Know which database you want? Try our database search.
Find electronic journals by their titles or ISSNs.
Just have a topic? Try our recommended resources by subject.
February 23rd to March 1st 2014 is Freedom to Read Week.
"Freedom to read can never be taken for granted. Even in Canada, a free country by world standards, books and magazines are banned at the border. Schools and libraries are regularly asked to remove books and magazines from their shelves. Free expression on the Internet is under attack. Few of these stories make headlines, but they affect the right of Canadians to decide for themselves what they choose to read."
You can visit the Freedom to Read website to learn more, or take a look at the posters and displays we have set up in several of our branch libraries.
Canada is updating its Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy. The federal government has released a discussion paper and is asking for feedback from the public by February 7, 2014.
Don't have time to write something from scratch but would like to participate?
Evidence for Democracy has created an online submission form for anyone to use, edit and send in feedback.
A revised science and technology strategy should:
- recognize the need to stimulate BOTH innovation in the public interest and private-sector innovation;
- restore federal government science capacity and identify strategies to ensure it flourishes;
- include a clear and explicit communication policy permitting government scientists to communicate their science freely and openly;
- reinvest in basic research;
- lay the groundwork for the development and subsequent implementation of a revised national science, technology and innovation policy; and
- develop and implement a comprehensive performance evaluation system to assess the success of the strategy itself.
Interested in knowing how others have responded? The AUCC has posted a copy of their submission to the Federal Government Science, Technology and Innovation policy.