Murray Library Rm 142
Today's Drop-in Tutoring Hours
No scheduled hours
No appointment is necessary. If our hours don't work for you, please submit your draft and/or question online. You may receive drop-in help twice for any given assignment, and can use the service at any stage of the writing process.
SLS also offers writing workshops throughout the year covering topics such as essay-writing, punctuation, organization, thesis statements, and writing with clarity.
Tutors can help you to
- clarify your goals
- improve your organization and writing style
- learn how to outline, draft, and revise your work
- practice the conventions of writing in your discipline
- notice patterns of error in your writing, which will help you to focus your editing and proofreading
- understand the rules of grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation.
Tutoring complements but does not replace writing instruction in your courses. Note: Tutors cannot edit or proofread (i.e., correct the grammar and punctuation) your paper. They can teach you about writing, though, using your work as an example of writing areas of strength and weakness. We cannot edit or proofread theses or dissertations.
Note to Professors:
For large classes, we do not have the tutoring hours to help every student within a short period of time. Instead of requiring students to use writing centre services, please persuade or encourage them to seek help if they need it. We are also happy to arrange for a workshop for your students, either in class or in the library. If possible, we can give your students access to a recording of the workshop, and any past workshops.
Writing Centre Workshops
What happens when I submit my work for online writing help?
How do I submit an assignment or question to online Writing Help?
Once you have your assignment draft and/or questions ready to submit to a tutor, simply fill out our online submission form by clicking the button below.
Writing Resources and Videos
Do you need help getting started with your research paper? The Assignment Planner will provide you with resources and tips to guide you through the steps of writing a paper.
You can view the Writing Help Research Guide here:
View these videos and slides on a range of topics, including avoiding plagiarism, punctuating, and paraphrasing.
View short video segments featuring U of S professors sharing their thoughts and advice on a range of writing topics.
Frequently Asked Questions
SLS Writing Help can be found on the first floor of the Murray Library. When you enter the library, choose the stairwell or the elevators, and go up one floor. At the top of the stairs, or upon exiting the elevator, turn right. You will see a big, busy area full of computers. In the corner of this area, next to the Math Help room, you will see Murray 142, Writing Help. Come in for drop-in tutoring, or come in to do some writing in a quiet space.
No! We are here to serve all U of S students, graduate and undergraduate.
Other Ways to Access Writing Help
- The Aboriginal Students' Centre (ASC): A Writing Centre tutor is available for drop-in consultations in the fall and winter terms. From September to November, Davis will be tutoring from 9:30-12:30 on Tuesdays and 1:00-4:00 on Thursdays, Room 230.
- Hire a tutor for continuity of help, or specialized help. Tutors on our site are U of S students who are endorsed by professors.
- Philosophy essay clinics (one-to-one) are available via the Philosophy Department. Online philosophy tutoring is available via SLS. Just specify that you'd like a philosophy tutor to look at your work.
- Writing help in the humanities and social sciences is available for Residence students during regular session. Contact the Residence main office for hours and locations.
- If you are registered with Access and Equity Services, inquire about funding options for editing and/or tutoring.
- If English is not your first language, we can offer you some information about where to get more expert help: contact email@example.com, or go to the International Student and Study Abroad Centre in Lower Place Riel.