Library access for sessional lecturers is automatically applied upon the start date of employment, and expires on the employment end date. Sessional contracts often start and finish according to the start and end dates of the course they have been hired to teach.
Early library access
The University Library recognizes that sessional lecturers may need access to library resources in order to prepare for teaching their course(s). The library is able to provide sessionals full library access up to two months in advance of their official start date upon proof of employment. To request access, sessional lecturers may contact the library in person, via the Ask Us chat service, or by filling out our library access request form. Please note that the library must see the employment contract in order to activate early library access.
Extended library access
The library will also provide full library access for one month following the official contract end date to allow the instructor to complete any outstanding work associated with the course. If a sessional instructor would like extended access, they should contact the library in person, via Ask Us, or by filling out our library access request form. Extended access cannot be requested until the end of the course (i.e. the end of the employment contract with USask). Please note that the library must see the employment contract in order to activate extended library access.
Your campus ID card is your library card.
USask sessional lecturers may:
- Borrow up to 150 regular loan items
- Receive extended loans
- Renew borrowed items twice by logging into your library account
- Request interlibrary loans (free of charge)
If an item that you have signed out is recalled by another user, a recall notice will be sent to your USask email address. If your original due date is more than 7 days away, a new due date will be assigned to the items included in the email. If your original due date is less than 7 days away, you must return them by the original due date. Recalled items returned late will accrue late fines at a rate of $2 per day up to a maximum of $50 per item.
Sessional lecturers are subject to the same library fines that apply to all other users. Find out more about avoiding and paying library fines.
Access in the library
When on campus at any of our library locations, USask sessional lecturers can
- Search our library catalogue and USearch on any library computers
- Search most licensed databases and download articles
- Print from library computers
- Print, scan or photocopy in any library.
- Ask for research help at service desks, by phone, email or online with our Ask Us chat
- Access University Archives and Special Collections
Off campus access
As a USask sessional lecturer, you have access to all electronic resources (databases, electronic journals, and data files) licensed by the University of Saskatchewan Library. Authentication using your NSID and password is required to access most databases from off campus.
Support for professionals
- Saskatchewan-licensed health care practitioners (including veterinarians and veterinary technicians) are eligible to access the Saskatchewan Health Information Resources Partnership (SHIRP) online library. See the SHIRP website to register for an account.
- APEGS (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan) and the University Library have a partnership that provides library services to current members. Learn more about the library services available to APEGS members.